1838. Item #51956
(SUMMIT CO) Commins, J.D., Wheeler, S.A. and Chamberlin, P. THE AKRON POST-OFFICE. No place, no date (1960's?) 16p, wraps, vg. Reprint of a pamphlet originally published in 1838. In the 1830's, the town of Akron, though hardly more than a village, consisted of north and south ends, separated by a gore. A vicious rivalry developed between the inhabitants. A northender, H. Johnson, was appointed postmaster in June 1837, allegedly agreeing to keep the post office in the southend. One morning in December, 1837, Akronites awoke to find it had been moved overnight into northender turf. This set off a bitter war of verbiage from both sides. The editor of a local newspaper, THE AMERICAN BALANCE, tiring of the conflict,refused to publish anything more about it in his paper. For this reason, the authors had this pamphlet done separately, perhaps to have the last word.