Akron, OH: Manning and Darby, 1843. Item #66285
With an Accurate Account of the Internal Improvements Throughout the Union: Also, a Table of the Counties, Cities, Towns, Villages, Etc. in the Same. Together with a table of the Rivers, exhibiting Their Length and Termination. To Which is Added a Table of All the Post Offices in the United States and Their Nett Proceeds in 1841. 409p, 1/2 leather with marbled boards, light wear to edges, foxing, good. It is apparent that a map-making industry existed in Akron during the 1830's and 40's, but that no real record of its activities can be found. We find that the Lewis Robinson Company of Vermont was established in Akron, producing several maps that are recorded. Nahum Fay, a local manufacturer and politician, was probably the first representative of this company in 1836. J. C. Darby of Akron engraved maps during this time, including a Lewis Robinson map of the U.S., dated 1837, which is owned by the Summit County Historical Society. Samuel Manning of Akron was also in the map publishing business, training Frank Adams who became his partner and later bought the business, continuing it under the name Adams and Egleston until 1848 when a fire destroyed their building. Adams would later become president of the Akron Sewer Pipe Company. And then there is this book, possibly made to accompany a map, but a very early Akron imprint of an undocumented part of our history.